Department of Statistics and Applied Probability, National University of Singapore, Singapore 117546, Republic of Singapore.
- B.Sc. Hons. (1980), Mathematics, University of Singapore
- M.Sc. (1984), Mathematics, National University of Singapore
- M.S. (1986), Statistics, Stanford University
- Ph.D. (1988), Statistics, Stanford University
Awards and Honors
- 2013 American Statistical Association Award of Outstanding Statistical Application for the paper by R.E. Kass, R. C. Kelly and W.L. Loh (2011) entitled “Assessment of synchrony in multiple neural spike trains using loglinear point process models”, Ann. Appl. Statist. 5 1262-1292.
- Elected into the Fellowhip of the Institute of Mathematical Statistics in 2007.
- Elected member of the International Statistical Institute in 2006.
Professional Association Membership
- Member of the Institute of Mathematical Statistics (1984-present).
- International Chinese Statistical Association (1996-present).
- Member of the Bernoulli Society (2006-present).
Teaching assignment for Semester II, 2011/2012
ST5198 Graduate Seminar Module
- Executive Editor (2012-2018), Journal of Statistical Planning and Inference .
- Associate Editor (2007-present), Annals of Statistics , (an official journal of the Institute of Mathematical Statistics).
- Associate Editor (1996-present), Statistica Sinica , (co-sponsored by the Institute of Statistical Science, Academia Sinica, Taipei, Taiwan and the International Chinese Statistical Association, Delaware, U.S.A.).
- Co-Editor (2002-2007), Sankhya , (sponsored by the Indian Statistical Institute, India).
- Co-Editor (2008-2011), Sankhya Series A , (sponsored by the Indian Statistical Institute, India).
- Associate Editor (2006-present), International Journal of Statistics and Management Systems.
- Estimating the smoothness of a Gaussian random field from irregularly spaced data via higher-order quadratic variations (2015). Ann. Statist. 43 2766-2794.
- On the sparsity of signals in a random sample (2012), (with B. Jiang). Biometrika 99 915-928.
- Assessment of synchrony in multiple neural spike trains using loglinear point process models (2011), (with R. E. Kass and R. C. Kelly). Ann. Appl. Statist. 5 1262-1292.
- On fixed-domain asymptotics and covariance tapering in Gaussian random fields models (2011), (with D. Wang). Electron. J. Statist. 5 238-269.
- Estimating the number of neurons in multi-neuronal spike trains (2011), (with M. Li). Ann. Appl. Statist. 5 176-200.
- A multivariate central limit theorem for randomized orthogonal array sampling designs in computer experiments (2008). Ann. Statist. 36 1983-2023.
- Some theoretical results on neural spike train probability models (2007), (with H.P. Chan). Ann. Statist. 35 2691-2733.
- Fixed-domain asymptotics for a subclass of Matern-type Gaussian random fields (2005). Ann. Statist. 33 2344-2394.
- On the asymptotic distribution of some randomized quadrature rules (2005). Stein’s Method and Applications , (A. D. Barbour and L. H. Y. Chen, editors) 209-222. World Scientific, Singapore.
- On the characteristic function of Pearson type IV distributions (2004). A Festschrift for Herman Rubin , (A. DasGupta, editor) 171-179. IMS Lecture Notes Monogr. Ser. 45 , Inst. Math. Statist., Beachwood.
- On the asymptotic distribution of scrambled net quadrature (2003). Ann. Statist. 31 1282-1324.
- A file linkage problem of DeGroot and Goel revisited (2001), (with H.P. Chan). Statist. Sinica 11 1031-1045.
- Estimating structured correlation matrices in smooth Gaussian random field models (2000), (with T. K. Lam). Ann. Statist. 28 880-904.
- Linear discrimination with adaptive ridge classification rules (1997). J. Multivariate Anal. 62 169-180.
- Estimating mixing densities in exponential family models for discrete variables (1997), (with C.-H. Zhang). Scand. J. Statist. 24 15-32.
- Estimating the integral of a squared regression function with Latin hypercube sampling (1997). Statist. Probab. Lett. 31 339-350.
- A combinatorial central limit theorem for randomized orthogonal array sampling designs (1996). Ann. Statist. 24 1209-1224.
- On Latin hypercube sampling (1996). Ann. Statist. 24 2058-2080.
- Global properties of kernel estimators for mixing densities in exponential family models for discrete variables (1996), (with C.-H. Zhang). Statist. Sinica 6 561-578.
- An Edgeworth expansion for U-statistics with weakly dependent observations (1996). Statist. Sinica 6 171-186.
- On linear discriminant analysis with adaptive ridge classification rules (1995). J. Multivariate Anal. 53 264-278.
- On m-dependence and Edgeworth expansions (1994). Ann. Inst. Statist. Math. 46 147-164.
- Estimating the mixing density of a mixture of power series distributions (1993). Statist. Decision Theory and Related Topics V, (S. S. Gupta and J. O. Berger, eds.) 87-98. Springer, New York.
- Stein’s method and multinomial approximation (1992). Ann. Appl. Probab. 2 536-554.
- Compound Poisson approximation for nonnegative random variables via Stein’s method (1992), (with A. D. Barbour and L. H. Y. Chen). Ann. Probab. 20 1843-1866.
- Estimating covariance matrices (1991). Ann. Statist. 19 283-296.
- Estimating covariance matrices II (1991). J. Multivariate Anal. 36 163-174.
- Estimating the common mean of two multivariate normal distributions (1991). Ann. Statist. 19 297-313.
Department of Statistics and Applied Probability
National University of Singapore
Republic of Singapore
(65) 6516-7937 (office)
(65) 6872-3919 (fax)
Back to the home page of the Department of Statistics and Applied Probability
Wei-Liem Loh <firstname.lastname@example.org>