1. How does one apply for extension of candidature?
Please enquire at the Statistics General Office for an extension of candidature form 289/90A. This should be completed and handed to your supervisor(s) and the Department Head for their endorsement. Consideration for extension of candidature is based on the justification for the extension, your performance, status of research work and thesis / dissertation writing.
2. How should existing self-financing students apply for Research Scholarship?
Existing self-financing Research Students can apply for the Research Scholarship. They must be considered by the department as showing the same level of academic performance as expected of Research Scholars. Recommendations for such Research Scholarship awards should come from their respective supervisor(s) and the Department Head. The recommendation will then be forwarded to the Division of Research and Graduate Studies, Faculty of Science.
3. How does one withdraw from the Research or Coursework Programme?
Candidates who intend to withdraw from their respective programmes must write in to inform the Division of Research and Graduate Studies, Faculty of Science, through the Head of Department of their decision. Students in the Research programme must also write in through their respective supervisor(s).
4. How can students convert their status from Full-Time to Part-Time?
Student who wish to apply for conversion of student status should fill up the form DRGS13/00 which is available at the Statistics General Office. Approval for the conversion is granted on a case-by-case basis.
5. How can students apply for extension of their Research Scholarship?
The Research Scholars should fill up the form DRGS11/00 which is available at the Statistics General Office.
6. What should a student do if there is a need to change the Thesis Topic or Title?
Approval is required if you need to make any changes to your approved thesis topic or title (as indicated in the University's offer letter). To do so, you should complete the form DRGS14/00 providing reasons for the request. Forms are available from the Statistics General Office.
Before the Division of Research and Graduate Studies, Faculty of Science considers your request, the completed form should be handed to your supervisor and the Head of Department for their approval.
7. What should students do if they wish to change supervisor(s)?
Students who intend to change their supervisor(s) must fill in the form DRGS15/00 which is available at the Statistics General Office.
8. What are the procedures for transferring from one faculty or department to another?
Students should write in to the Registrar through the Division of Research and Graduate Studies, Faculty of Science through the Head of Department and supervisor(s) with the request. Endorsement and approval is also required from the Head of Department and supervisor (s) of the prospective Faculty or Department.
9. Can a graduate student apply for financial assistance when attending overseas conferences?
Only Research scholars may apply for financial assistance when attending overseas conferences. In addition to form 456/98/A, the student should also fill up form DRGS08/00. Both forms are available at the Statistics General Office.
10. What is the procedure for conversion of candidature from a Master's (By Research) to Ph.D?
All new graduate students are now admitted into the graduate programme. To be admitted into a Ph.D programme, candidates must pass a departmental qualifying examination no later than the end of semester three, subject to the number of attempts laid down by the department. The student must fill up form 578/95A which is available at the Statistics General Office.
11. Can Research Scholars accept full-time employment?
Research scholars are not allowed to accept employment, whether or not he/she is remunerated, except for departmental work in NUS for which they will be remunerated.