Second Singapore Conference on Statistical Science(19 and 20 September 2011)
... organised by
Throughout its history, the development of statistics has always been driven by real life problems. Researchers involved in the use and development of new statistical methodologies come from a diverse background and have different motivations and goals. These days, statistical models are becoming increasingly popular in explaining more and more complex natural and social phenomena. The tools used are becoming more and more application specific, as the main motivation for many new statistical methods is to address particular situations encountered by the practitioners. As a consequence, innovations can become ghettoised within one application area, so that, for the development of the discipline as a whole, the benefit of building up communication among such diverse group statisticians is huge, to allow cross-fertilisation of ideas.
In the same vein as its predecessor, this conference aims, first of all, to provide a forum for interaction between local scientists working in biostatistics, financial statistics, econometrics, actuarial science, statistical methodologies, among others. Furthermore, it will provide training opportunities for local graduate students and young researchers. The conference will prompt effective discussions and exchanges between invited speakers and local graduate students and other participants. The main mission however, is to foster communication between statisticians working in core statistical methodologies and in various areas of applications. We hope that, discussions with the international experts will benefit the local statistics community immensely and lead to fruitful future collaborations.
This conference is fully sponsored by Professor SAW Swee Hock. The organising committee gratefully acknowledges his financial support. Professor Saw has been the main motivation behind this conference.
- Leontine Alkema (NUS, DSAP)
- Arul Earnest (Duke-NUS)
- Pang Zhen (NTU)
- Saw Seang Mei (EPH/SPH)
- Teo Yik Ying (NUS, DSAP)
- Yu Tao (NUS, DSAP)
- Zhu Ying (NIE)
Session Statistics in Finance and Economics
- Chow Hwee Kwan (SMU)
- Lim Kian Guan (SMU)
- Tatsushi Oka (NUS Econ)
- Tse Yiu Kuen (SMU)
Session Statistical Methodology
- David Nott (NUS, DSAP)
- Pan Guangming (NTU, Math)
- Wu Zhengxiao (NUS, DSAP)
How to Get to Lecture Theatre 31
Arriving by public transport
From Buona Vista MRT station,
- Take SBS bus 95 from the bus stop in front of Ministry of Education building.
- Alight at the bus stop in front of the Lim Seng Tjoe Lecture Theatre 27 in NUS.
- LT31 is located at Block S16 Level 3.
For an interactive map of NUS, click here.
Arriving by private transport/taxi
- See map.
Parking is available at NUS Carpark 10A, located across the road of Block S16.
For more information on parking at the NUS Kent Ridge Campus, please visit the NUS Office of Estate and Development's website here.
- The organising committee of the Second Singapore Conference on Statistical Science is delighted to issue a call for poster presentations at the conference. The poster session will provide an opportunity to present ongoing research on biostatistics and business and finance statistics and statistical methodologies. The session will also promote interaction between poster presenters and other conference participants. It will be an important and integral part of the conference and posters will be displayed during “kopi” and “makan” breaks. All the conference participants are invited to vote for the best poster presented. There will be a prize and award for the winner.
Authors should submit a title and abstract for their poster by email to Ms Melissa Thong by 30 June 2011. The abstract should be in plain text or PDF format. All applicants will be notified of acceptance by 15 July 2011. Accepted posters should be submitted in PDF format in portrait orientation by 1 September 2011 and will be printed by the conference organisers, thanks to the generosity of the sponsor, Prof Saw Swee Hock. Poster presenters are expected to present their poster during the poster session.
- Sanjay CHAUDHURI (National University of Singapore)
- CHEN Ying (National University of Singapore)
- Alex COOK (National University of Singapore)
- LI Jialiang (National University of Singapore)
- SAW Swee Hock (National University of Singapore)
- XIA Yingcun (National University of Singapore)
There is no registration fee but all participants must register. The registration form can be found here.
- Ms. Melissa Thong : Department of Statistics and Applied Probability, National University of Singapore, Tel: (65) 6516 8050, Fax: (65) 6872 3919, Email: email@example.com.